The franked messaging blackout window for House members begins on August 5—less than three weeks away. Is your office ready?
Despite our best hopes, COVID-19 is not going anywhere anytime soon, meaning your office will need to continue finding creative ways to interact with your constituents—especially since Members of Congress will likely not be able to hold traditional town halls or meetings during August recess.
So what can you do to best prepare?
- Grow your contact lists. The more you can increase the number of constituents who opt in to receiving your office’s digital communications, the more you can connect with them and share important updates.
- Start texting. Did you know that 95% of your text messages are read within the first three minutes of you sending them? That makes franked texting one of the most efficient and effective tools to reach your constituents quickly. It’s also an incredible way to get people to take action, such as signing up for text or email updates from your office.
- Run digital ads. Running digital email acquisition ads on Facebook, Instagram, and other platforms are an excellent way to spread your message and increase the number of constituents who sign up for your weekly newsletter.
As you put together your communications strategy and navigate this new landscape, it’s important to keep the following things in mind.
- Offices experiencing a primary election franking blackout may send updates on COVID-19 via franked texts, digital communications, and mail. However, franking has yet to decide whether to allow unsolicited franked communications during the General Election blackout.
- Opt-in mass communications are permissible during the blackout regardless of their subject matter. As long as your audience has previously subscribed to your communications, you can send them any franked messaging such as important text updates or your office newsletter.
- Your office may be eligible to use remaining funds from your 2019 franking budget to communicate with your constituents about COVID-19. Check with House Administration to see if you have any eligible leftover funds.
- Once approved by the Franking Commission, franked communications can be sent out. And TLC Political has the capability to send digital and text communications within hours of approval.
These are uncharted times, and it’s imperative to provide timely, relevant information to your constituents. franked messaging can help you do that. For more information about franked messaging, last minute preparations before the blackout, or starting your franked digital or texting program, contact us at email@example.com.